When you saw this post's title, what did you think you'd be reading about? Erectile dysfunction? Emergency Departments?
Nope. I want to talk about eating disorders.
The website of NEDA, the National Eating Disorders Association, provides this overview:
Eating disorders -- such as anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder – include extreme emotions, attitudes, and behaviors surrounding weight and food issues. Eating disorders are serious emotional and physical problems that [have life altering consequences] and can have life-threatening consequences for females and males. (my addition)
The following figures related to Eating Disorders in America deserve your attention, whether you know anyone suffering from with ED or not (and you probably do, even if you think you don't):
- An estimated 8 million Americans have an eating disorder – seven million women and one million men.
- One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia.
- Two to three in 100 American women suffer from bulimia.
- Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and only 30 – 40% ever fully recover.
- The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate of ALL causes of death for females 15 – 24 years old.
- 20% of people suffering from anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder, including suicide and heart problems
Now that you have the backstory, stay tuned for my next post that discusses an article that prompted me to discuss ED.